Sunday, April 17, 2011

One Hundred Years of Solitude

This book which I bought by sheer luck because the store did not have Luka and The Fire of Life by Rushdie was one very awesome read. Especially for a solitary loving person like me (which I realized more after reading this book), this book which never made me happy or sad but ventured me into a magical yet realistic land where the strong personalities of people could convolute the world around them to unimaginable effects.

Marquez, the pioneer of magical-realism and Rushdie's biggest idol, has exceptional writing skills who never for a moment made things boring in OHYS. Starting at an ultra fast pace and describing the emergence of science and magic in the serene city of Maconda, the book goes on chronicling the lives of the Buendias from the founding of the city to the end of the family trail. Smudged by war, jealousy, love and solitude, the tale of this exceptional family is something that will be revered by every philospher.

The most beautiful aspect in the book was that the characters which seem of less importance actually have a major influence on the future of events. And the cyclical nature of things is also a great manifestation by the genius of Marquez.

3 comments:

  1. it looked orangish when i chose it. but oh well..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stumbled upon your blog, (I don't even remember where from) and I see a post about an awesome, awesome book.
    It was absolutely "unputdownable" when I read it for the first time. And I reread it thrice in succession in the same week! Marquez is magic!

    ReplyDelete